Get Help In Navigating the Process
The university supervisor (US) serves as a liaison between the school site and the university, providing support and guidance to both the student teacher (ST) and the mentor teacher (MT). The US performs a critical role in facilitating communication and in providing feedback, assistance, and evaluation for the ST.
Some general expectations include:
- Be accessible to the ST and MT through regular visitations, phone, and email.
- Encourage open communication within the team and a collaborative approach to supporting the ST.
- Provide guidance on policies and procedures for student teaching and check to ensure that they are followed.
- Confer with the Director of Music Education as soon as any problems arise.
- Conduct at least four formal observations (two for each placement) using the Observation Report, followed by a conference and written report for each observation.
- Ideally, observations should be from different grade levels and a variety of music classes where practical.
- Promote reflective practice by reviewing the ST’s observation journal and providing feedback.
- Keep the Director of Music Education informed of any problems with or changes that might negatively affect the progress of the ST.
- Facilitate record keeping and documentation needed for the ST to obtain licensure.
- Begin documenting the progress of the ST by completing the Teacher Performance Assessment (TPA) early in each placement, amending as needed.
- Coordinate evaluation and grading of the ST’s performance, including the development and presentation of the e-Portfolio.
- Provide the candidate with a recommendation for employment, if requested.
- Complete evaluations of the MT upon conclusion of each placement. The Office of Clinical Practice will send links to the online surveys.