THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED TO SATURDAY, MARCH 2, 2024 DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER.
The Mason Jazz Festival is an invitational event open to middle school, high school, collegiate and community Jazz ensembles. This festival will take place Saturday, March 2, 2024 on the George Mason University Fairfax campus.
Sponsored by Mason Jazz Studies participating groups will perform a 20-30 minute set, followed by a clinic by Mason Jazz faculty and special guests.
The festival will include:
- 3 “Outstanding Soloist” (cash prizes) and
- 4 “Best Section” awards, as well as scholarships to the Mason Jazz Camp, summer 2024.
- New this year – Live performance recordings for Band Directors.
Festival Performances in Harris Theatre
Enjoy performances by the Mason Jazz Ensemble, directed by Jim Carroll, Hot Lanes Big Band, directed by Bobby Jasinksi, JazzWorx Big Band, directed by Bill Schnepper, and a special Mason Jazz Faculty All-Star Concert."
Schedule For the Day
10:00am Yorktown High School
10:30am Walkersville High School
11:00am W.T. Woodson High School
11:30am NOVA Nighthawks Jazz Ensemble
1:00pm Hot Lanes Big Band
2:00pm Wakefield High School
2:30pm Loudoun County High School
3:00pm Chancellor High School
3:30pm Alexandria City High School
4:30pm JazzWorx Big Band
5:30pm Awards Ceremony
7:00pm Mason Jazz Ensemble
7:30pm Mason Jazz Faculty All-Stars
Registration and Payment
Register at the link below to secure your spot (no fee needed for initial registration). Pay the registration fee through Mason Marketplace (below the registration link) by credit card before the day of the festival.
Payment: $250 (per ensemble)
- Pay by Credit Card or
- Mail check to Darden Purcell, 4400 University Drive, MSN3E3, Fairfax, VA 22030
Location and Parking
The event will take place in Harris Theatre at George Mason University, Fairfax Campus, 4400 University Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030.
Free parking in LOT K. $9 weekend parking in the Mason Pond Parking Deck. Busses can drop off in front of the Center for the Arts and proceed to the back of Lot K to park.
- Prof. Jim Carroll – Founder, Jazz Studies, George Mason University
- Paul Bratcher - Director of Jazz Studies, Georgetown University
- Ricky Parrell - Alto Saxophonist, USAF Band